At the Whittle School & Studios, we aim to create an extraordinary and unique school, the first truly modern institution serving children from ages three to 18, and the first global one. We want to change for the better the lives of those students who attend and, beyond our own campuses, contribute to the cause of education on every continent.
To achieve this vision, we’ve assembled a team that is more than just extraordinary—it’s global, diverse, and passionate about our mission. But in addition to our staff, Education Design Team, and Global Advisory Board, we also consider you, the friends and neighbors that surround us in our Washington, D.C. neighborhood, to be part of our extended family.
We invite you to join the conversation as we develop students into global citizens and re-imagine education for children around the world.
Imagine a network of schools working collaboratively through constant exchanges and online activities, supported by a unique global headquarters and tied together by a common curriculum adapted to local laws and needs. By creating an organization linked with a new “collective intelligence” unlike any local, single-site institution, those schools will graduate students with a highly evolved, global mindset sought after by universities worldwide.
Imagine one school with campuses in the world’s leading cities, with a diverse student body to foster a global mindset fostered by a single faculty.
What you are imagining is Whittle School & Studios.
Creating True Global Citizens
Simply put, Whittle School & Studios will develop the leaders of tomorrow with the necessary skill sets to change the world. We define student-centered learning through a graduate profile that envisions the holistic development of each child and maximizes their passion for lifelong learning by providing access to educational experiences across our global network.
Our educational pedagogy focuses on the following areas of student development:
- Fostering individual growth and a sense of agency
- Developing intrepid and rigorous scholars who embrace critical thinking
- Producing students who are successful in their contributions to the school and larger community
- Shaping leaders who are armed with the knowledge, skills, and ability to deliver solutions to local and global challenges
- Providing access to the Center of Excellence at our Washington D.C. campus, which will allow students to take a deep dive into the world of international cooperation and diplomacy. Students will have access to a world-wide network of experts who will help to prepare them for global challenges and opportunities.
Meaningful International Partnerships
Our organization is proud to serve as corporate co-chair of the Meridian International Center’s 50th Anniversary Ball and Global Leadership Summit. Meridian International is a premier nonprofit, global leadership organization headquartered in Washington, D.C. Since 1960, Meridian has partnered with the U.S. Department of State to implement the International Visitor Leadership Program with alumni including 70,904 government officials, diplomats, fortune 500 executives, four Nobel Prize winners, 168 Heads of State, and other emerging leaders.
A Global Network of Campuses
Both our D.C. and Shenzhen campuses will open in the fall of 2019, and by 2025, we plan to open 30 campuses in the world’s most vibrant and innovative cities.
Our highly integrated learning community will provide educational experiences to thousands of students around the globe, and the schools will be designed by world-renowned architect Renzo Piano, who uses his knowledge of design to help children learn more efficiently and embrace the world around them.
Our D.C. campus, which offers nearly one million square feet of program, dormitory, and support space, is located on 13 acres in the North Cleveland Park neighborhood at 4000 Wisconsin Ave, NW in the former Intelsat Headquarters.
Meanwhile, our Shenzhen campus, constructed in two phases and located in the Ma Wan Center of the Qianhai District, will offer more than one million square feet of program, dormitory, and support space.
A World-Class Faculty
Research shows that in building a great school, one factor matters more than anything else: the quality of your faculty. Whittle School & Studios is committed to recruiting and hiring the very best teachers and leaders from around the world to join our stellar team of educational thought leaders, including:
- Nicholas Dirks, Ph.D., Vice Chairman, Chancellor Global Education Design Committee, former Chancellor of UC Berkeley
- Ian Thomas, Ph.D., Vice Chairman, President, former CEO of Boeing China, India, and Australia
- Chris Whittle, Chairman and C.E.O., Founder of Edison Schools and Whittle Communications
- Rebecca Upham, Executive Chairwoman, D.C., Former Head of Buckingham, Browne, and Nichols School in Cambridge, Massachusetts
- Jim Hawkins, Global Head of School Heads, Former Head of Harrow School in London
- Xianzhang Shen, Chairman and School Head, Shenzhen Campus, Former Vice Principal of RDFZ, Member of China Entrance Exam Committee
Dennis Bisgaard, Head of School, D.C. Campus, Former Head of Kingswood Oxford School in W. Hartford, Connecticut
We encourage you—as well as your friends, family members, neighbors, and colleagues—to join us at an informational event to continue your exploration of the world’s first global school.
We hope that you’ll participate in an ongoing conversation with us about the value of global education, both in this digital space and here in our Washington, D.C. community.