Here at Whittle, our admissions philosophy is that anything and everything about a student is relevant; we call this principle “life as application.” In addition to standard application components like grades and recommendations, we encourage students and their families to view the process as an opportunity to share their creativity and passions.
For the 2020-2021 academic year, we welcome applications for Pre-K 3 through grade 11.
Here’s how to begin the journey towards becoming a student at Whittle School & Studios:
STEP ONE: Discovering Whittle
- Attend an Informational Event, such as a Tour, Whittle Reception, or Open House
STEP TWO: Introducing Yourself
Complete the Application through Ravenna, including:
Basic Application and fee
Parent and student written responses
"Share Your World" supplement
STEP THREE: Getting to Know Each Other
- Conversation/School Visit: Meeting applicant families is one of the most valuable and collaborative aspects of our admission process, as it is an opportunity for families to receive support from our team as we learn about one another and your child's ideas, dreams, and talents.
- Early Learning Center and Lower School parents meet with a member of the Admission team; separately, applicants are required to join a playgroup and participate in creative and engaging activities with our teachers.
- Middle and Upper School students and parents visit together and meet with members of the Admission team.
Please find below a description of the application items. Applicants are required to apply online through our application vendor, Ravenna.
All applicants must submit introductory information and the application fee.
Parent and Student Written Responses
We ask all parents and students (who are applying to the Middle & Upper School) to share their experiences, perspectives, goals, thoughts, and ideas about education, school, life, and the future. We value this thoughtful insight into your family.
This includes a school report card or transcript from the current academic year and previous year.
Share the contact information for current teachers that are best able to speak to your student's performance. Teachers will receive an evaluation form to complete and submit on your student's behalf.
Grade level-appropriate assessments provide an applicant with the opportunity to reveal a readiness for the rigorous Whittle educational program and allow our team to best support new students. The required assessments for each grade level are listed below:
- Pre-K 3 through Grade 5: no assessment required
- Grade 6 through Grade 11: ISEE or SSAT
- Students should register for either test in the fall in order to meet our application deadlines. Our ISEE school code is 571378; our SSAT school code is 8197.
- If your student has taken the PSAT, SAT, or ACT, it may be used in lieu of the ISEE or SSAT.
Share Your World
We encourage students to share something that helps us get to know them better, beyond what is addressed in other parts of the application, such as:
- Student resume or curriculum vitae (CV)
- An image that is special to your student
- A short piece of multimedia
- A sample of creative writing or graded academic writing
Please contact the Admission Office at email@example.com or 202-417-3615, and we will be happy to answer your questions.